The only way to property dispose of unwanted paints, thinners, varnishes and other hazardous household materials is as follows:

The only paint that can be disposed of in your regular trash is waterbased latex paint. You must let the paint dry out before you put it out for disposal. Removing the lid and letting the paint sit until it dries can do this. Once it is completely dry, it can be put in your regular trash for collection. Oil-based paints, thinners, shellacs, varnishes, paint removers, stains and other hazardous household materials can only be properly disposed of twice during the year by taking them to the Cape May County Municipal Utilities Authority's Hazardous Materials Collection Location. The CMCMUA advertises this collection in area newspapers and they do a mailing to all County residents. For further information, contact the CMCMUA at 465-9026. There are two collections per year, one in the early spring, one in the early fall. Here is the Cape May County MUA website.

REMEMBER that we will NOT collect any hazardous materials at the curbside. You must store these materials and dispose of them properly at the CMCMUA Hazardous Collection location. The Borough MUA and the CMCMUA are not the same agency.

Public Works Regulations for Motor Oil Collection

  1. Motor oil must be placed in clear containers and can be brought to the Public Works Garage, 401 Madison Avenue 7:00 A.M. - 4:00 P.M.
  2. Motor oil will NOT be collected curbside.